Al Día, the award-winning Hispanic publication of The Dallas Morning News, currently has an opening for a Multimedia News Reporter. This position is responsible for finding, collecting and analyzing information about newsworthy events to write new stories for print and produce multimedia packages for digital channels. The ideal candidate has to feel comfortable navigating from digital to print, and back. Must be fluent in both English and Spanish, and must be ready to write in both languages if required. Al Día is looking for a media-savvy journalist that is able to identify the appropriate platforms (photos, video, text, social media) for a news story. The ideal candidate should be ready for quick hits for a daily digital operation and enterprise reporting for our print product.
- Receives assignment specifying type of story, story “angle” or approach, and individuals to contact.
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding story through interview, observation and research; makes notes or obtains permission to record discussion to retain ideas, develop factual information and obtain authentic detail.
- Report breaking news events for Al Día social media channels, including live video feeds, aggregating information from relevant news sources and curates for Al Día readers
- Organizes material and prepares story according to approach originally requested, prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Report and prepare multimedia news packages, incorporating video and audio. Writes quick hits for web and print stories and does further reporting for subsequent updates, and develop enterprise stories.
- Curate and prepare news packages that connect and create “audiences” around specific topics.
- Use data and public records as the basis for enterprise and investigative stories and projects.
- Maintains confidentiality of information processed as appropriate.
- Follows company policies and procedures.
- Cultivates sources, immerses him/herself in an understanding of the appropriate coverage area, and because of this knowledge, plays an important role in shaping ongoing coverage.
- Gathers supplemental information for graphics or the assignment of photos.
Bachelors’ degree in journalism, communications or related field
3 years related experience. Will consider additional experience in lieu of education.
Must have good communication skills and organizational skills; good interviewing skills; detail oriented; good computer skills. Must be able to interview sources and write in professional Spanish and English.
Fully conversant on digital publishing platforms and social media channels.