The HCDFW board met on Saturday, Sept. 8 at Half Price Bookstore. At the board meeting several issues were discussed. Here is a summary of the meeting:
Amanda Salinas stepped down as President for personal and professional reasons. Saul Garza was voted in as President. He will hold the position until elections in about a year.
Laura Martinez was voted in as Secretary. She replaces Giselle Cestarte who stepped down for personal reasons earlier this year.
Committee chairs were named:
- Website committee: Teevee Aguirre
- Social Media committee–Michael Vega
- Scholarship committee: Anna Macias
- Fundraising committee: Gary Pina
- Spanish-language committee: Jay Torres
- Banquet committee: Magda Salazar
- Events/Planning committee: All of the above and several members
- Membership committee: Karina Ramirez
There was also a discussion how to bring in more members from the Spanish-language media,and possibly having a day exclusively for workshops for Spanish-language journalists in DFW market.
Upcoming events planned:
- Sept.15–Launch “Hispanic Heritage Month” fundraiser for NAHJ’s “1,000 Voces.”
- Oct.4–Cokie Roberts at UTArlington/members go together
- Oct.11–Mixer for members
- Nov.19–Seth Myers at UTArlington/ members go together
- Dec.–possible Christmas gathering
- Jan.–possible Spanish-language workshop day
- April–2013 Scholarship Banquet
Our next board meeting is scheduled for Saturday, October 20 at Half-Price Bookstore at 10a.m. It is open to all our members. Feel free to come.
Rebecca Aguilar is part of the HCDFW planning committee. She’s also the NAHJ Vice President of Online.